Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
- 5.5 cups sliced pickling cucumbers (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1.5 tablespoons kosher or pickling salt
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion (I used regular)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds (or 1/8 teaspoon celery salt, in a pinch)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
Combine cucumbers and salt in a bowl. Cover with a thin tea towel and chill 1.5 hours. Or, if you are like me, get busy doing other things and just leave them in the fridge overnight. Rinse cucumbers well in a colander, to remove salt. Drain well. Return cucumbers to the bowl along with sliced onion.
Combine sugars, vinegars, seeds and turmeric in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over cucumbers and onions. Let sit at room temperature for one hour. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours and up to 2 weeks.
Makes approximately 4 cups of DELISH pickles
You will die. They are SO good!
Salting them helps withdraw the water from the cucumbers so they have a nice "crunch" to them.
Vinegar on the stove - this goes so quick. I love that it's not a huge project but you still get a great finished product from your garden!
Mixing in the vinegars..and then let it all soak together!
If you try this out, let me know what you think!